Royal Papua Yacht Club, Life Members



The first symptoms of addiction to saltwater and sailcloth appeared on Tony Galloway at about age eight. The chronic condition that subsequently developed is attributed to constant exposure at Mooloolaba, Queensland where he enjoyed frequent weekend visits to the family holiday home.

The son of a Police Security-Service office, Tony was born and raised in Brisbane. He completed his education at Brisbane Church of England Grammar School and subsequently entered employment in the building and construction industry.

His first boat at aged 14 was a “Maxim” sharpie, handed down by his brother. With this, and later a Payne-Mortlock sailing canoe, he raced for several years with the Brisbane All Boats Club.

As a foundation member of the Cleveland Yacht Club, Tony was selected for the Queensland FINN class training squad for the 1956 Melbourne Olympics along with Norman Wright and Ron Jennings.

Tony’s interest then focussed on the sixteens and he joined the Sandgate Skiff Club. During the next 5 years he owned several skiffs, the last of which he built himself. He had reached a degree of expertise which entitled him to represent his State for 5 consecutive years in the Australian Championships. Tony also won several regional titles during these years.

On the few occasions Tony found time to relax, he crewed with Norman Wright in skiffs; with Ivan Holmes in the famous “Laura Bada” (Brisbane to Gladstone) and in trimarans with the late builder / designer, Headley Nicol.

1960 saw Tony leave Brisbane to take employment with John Stubbs in Port Moresby. He immediately joined the Papua Yacht Club and sailed a season in the then popular V.S’s. He built PNG’s first light-weight sharpie “Mirigini” the following year, (this boat was still sailing with the club in 1980 when this profile was written). “Talao” followed and “Rustler” built and sailed by Tony, represented PNG in the 1968 Australian L.W Sharpie Championships. Tony was also the Secretary of P.N.G Sharpie Association until this time. 1969 saw the beginning, largely to Tony’s efforts, of A Class competition, with 16 yachts regularly entering the harbour and ocean events. Tony sailed a then recent acquisition “Dactyl”. A 9.1m trimaran and later the famous “Adastra” which was clocked at over 18 knots on occasions.

It was after the sale of “Adastra” that Tony was forced to return to Brisbane in 1975, for treatment of a condition, which, since birth, had gradually taken an increasing toll on his health. He underwent open-heart surgery and after replacing a few shackles, sheaves and seals etc., and 12 months of hospitalisation and convalescence, he headed for Mackay in the employ of the Pioneer Shire Council.

As a secretary of the Cruising Yacht Club of Mackay, Tony found “Vert Galant” the Duncanson 35 in which he returned to Port Moresby in the inaugural Air Niugini Cairns/Port Moresby Yacht race. He again settled here and was employed as a manager of the Architectural firm he initially joined in 1964.

His unstinting service to the club includes 8 years on the sailing committee with 3 years as Captain A Class. He was elected to the Executive Committee in 1970 and served as Club Secretary for 4 year until the need for medical treatment forced his withdrawal from club activities.

Tony was awarded honorary life membership in 1975, was again Captain A Class with firm ideas for the success of the 1980 season.

When asked to recall memorable occasions in his long sailing career, Tony answered, “there are no particular occasions. It’s all been most memorable”.

Tony retired to Milne Bay where he sailed “Vert Galant” to and was caretaker for Doini Island until he returned to Cairns where it is believed he passed away about ten (10) years ago.